Entry #8




Title: THE DEVIL DON'T LOVE YOU

Genre: YA Southern Gothic

Word Count: 64,000

Hogwarts House: The Sorting Hat may consider Slytherin for Rylan because she can be sneaky, but ultimately she would be placed in Gryffindor for her bravery.

Pitch: Stuck at her Gram's haint-warded house, in a Hurricane's path, Rylan becomes embroiled in a local girl's schemes. When accusations of voodoo and murder fly, Rylan must stop the witch responsible to clear her name.

First 250:

If it’s hot as Hell and it looks like Hell, it must be Hell. With every moss covered tree we pass, my heart sinks a little more.Our car plunges head first into a back woods abyss where the roads and houses are crumbling and time is standing still.

Mama eases her shiny, white Volvo sedan onto Gram's dirt driveway. Rocks crunch under the tires, bumping me around on the seat until my book falls off my lap to the floorboard. The corner of the hard cover Nancy Drew pierces my big toes causing me to bite back a four letter word. 

Even with the care she's taking, I know Mama’s going to have a fit about the tracks of dust left behind on her new car. She sucks her tongue against her teeth, shifting into park and rolling her eyes at my dad in the passenger seat. He doesn't notice. The phone in his hand consumes his mind and his thumbs, as he mumbles something about medical records left on his desk.
                             
The sun beats down so hot in the car, it nearly takes my breath. Which is super irritating because I'd love nothing more than to sigh. Loudly. With annoyance. Instead, I retrieve my book, fold my hands, and lean back against the seat. Resentment was the first step in this unwanted vacation. Acceptance is the second. 

"You coming, Ry?"
                                                                  


Other Team Hufflepuff Entries:


MG: FORT SMYTHE AND THE RUBY HEART


ADULT: THE ORCHID GIRL'S CHASE


YA: BRAIN DAMAGE


YA: CUSTODIAN


YA: HER GOLDEN CRIMES


YA: THE DROWNING OF MOLLY WHITFORD


YA: THE G.A.P. PROJECT


YA: ECHO CHAMBER HEIST






Request System:


10 Points – Query and first 10 pages = Petrificus Totalus
25 Points – Query and first 25 pages = Protego
50 Points – Query and first 50 pages = Stupefy
100 Points – Query and first 100 pages = Sectumsempra
200 Points – Query and full = Expelliarmus


4 comments:

  1. The Devil Don't Love You - 25 Points – Query and first 25 pages = Protego (Vicki Selvaggio, JDLA)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 200 points, and a duel with anyone who challenges me.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

@kymburleevan